Export of Mexican Tomato
First world exporter of tomatoes
The tomato or jitomate as it is known in Mexico, is one of the most consumed vegetables, and that has a real role in the typical Mexican food.
The National Commission of Biodiversity considers it as the most important vegetable in the world, followed by the potato.
The red tomato is the fourth agricultural product exported in Mexico (after beer, avocado and berries) and is in first place in the ranking of world exports with a 25.4% share of the international production of the fruit.
The entities with the largest volume of harvest are: Sinaloa, San Luis Potosi and Baja California
Tomato exports 2010-2019
Annual per capita consumption
tons exported in 2019
• It contains vitamins and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, vitamins A, B1, B2, and C.
• The tomato is composed entirely of water and fiber, has few calories.
• Because of the vitamins it contains, it has effects for the protection of the immune system.
• Its potassium content helps to improve muscles, keep the body hydrated and avoid cramps.
• It contains lycopene, which helps prevent certain cancers such as stomach, prostate and uterus.
Source: Panorama Agroalimentario 2020